Sunday, April 7, 2013

I'm Just Here for the Savasana


   Even though all of us yogis at times rush towards the tranquility of savasana, there is value in wrestling with each present pose. To enjoy the unremitting flux of effort and release as opposed to focusing your energy on a linear ‘resting point’ is an ineffable lesson, one that especially us ‘westerners’ should incorporate into life and practice.

   First off, Mysore rocks my freaking socks off. It is the BEST way to start the day, get that energy flowing and center my mind. I’ve been working with my drop-back/come-up for backbends for a while now and have noticed a certain ‘mental block’ that I must get past. My teacher told me that I have am totally capable of dropping back and coming up without her help, but I just have to get past the fear.
  It seems that the Ashtanga primary series is full of these mental blocks: “I can’t do that,”“that pose is too crazy for me,”“I’m scared I’ll fall,”“I am blind to the space I need to focus on in order to do this,”“what’s the point of practicing if I know I’ll never be able to do some things?”“I’m exhausted,”“I’d rather sleep that go to mysore,” et cetera.
   The practice is so much more than the physical movements. The more you get in tune with your body, you believe in yourself and the extent of your vigor. You become more patient and loving with yourself in the process—titibasana doesn’t happen in a day.
   We confront these psychological barriers in life everyday. Cognitive scripts played on repeat to the bane of our contentment. Yet despite all the mental blocks you had to confront, simply showing up to the mat is the active expression of belief in yourself and in life. By refocusing your energy on the gifts of the present, of the breath, of the practice, you are empowering your mind and body to confront the obstacles inherent in life and in yoga.

1 comment: