Sunday, April 7, 2013

accept the fact that you may lose what is most dear to you

-->
           A great man once told me, to “accept the fact that you may lose what is most dear to you.”
           I squirmed and exclaimed, “but what am I if not an amalgamation of attachments? I am made of memories, places, people, foods, experiences. Without being attached to these things, where would I find meaning for my life? Accepting the inevitable loss of this is a negation of myself.”
            He continued to say, “Nothing is permanent Kendall. Only in accepting that fact can you find happiness. Even as we sit here, with our coffee and toast, the world is in constant flux. I am changing, you are changing, the coffee is getting colder, the toast dry. Appreciating the moment you are in and to honor its moment in the winds of infinity, this is true happiness.” He takes a moment, "Finding the balance between the finite and the infinite is a lifelong task. You’re lucky you are having these questions so young. You see Kendall,” his eyes focus on mine, “We are old souls you and I and our life decisions make this wisdom a great blessing or a terrible burden.”

No comments:

Post a Comment