Saturday, September 27, 2014

Scott Jurek--Ultrarunning Machine

I first heard about Scott Jurek while reading Born to Run--a book written by Christopher McDougall about the Tarahumara running tribe and as a call for minimalist, meditation-based running. He speaks about handling discomfort mindfully--using breath, awareness, and just keeping on until "those little glimpses of flow, or easy movement" carry you away. This feeling of freedom, of pure bliss, of being able to go forever while the fountain of endorphins trickle down your scalp-- disengaged from modern day mental clutter and boiled down to just one foot in front of the other, despite the immense pain and your muscles screaming at you to stop--this is why I fell in love with distance running. Hopefully I can take in some of Scott's wisdom, as well as stay focused on the reasons I got involved, and apply it to my race in one week! First marathon here we come.
 


 These are some of my favorite quotes:

"You're tapping into that primitive, body function survival things going on. And also, there are times when I'm running and even though I've been in discomfort for 20,30,40 miles, sometimes it just feels like I'm floating and that I can run, you know, forever. And those little glimpses of like, flow, or just, I guess ease of movement is what I think a lot of people are searching for with endurance sports."

"Discomfort and adversity are somethings that life, is really full of. I've learned a lot from the ultrarunning sport that I can apply to my life because...there are plenty of times when I'm out running when it hurts just as much as everyone else. And it's about accepting that as part of the journey. In order to get to the top of the mountain, the discomfort and the fatigue and the struggle is part of it and I think, once you appreciate it, you don't try to avoid it."

No comments:

Post a Comment